Thursday, December 15, 2011

An "old" Wise Soul told me today ...

"You know, Mama ... While I was decorating my Christmas tree at school, Joey was decorating his Hanukkah Menorah.  Do you know what a Menorah is?  Do you know it has 9 candles?"
Ummmmmm .... Wow!
This little critter has more intellect/love in his little body, heart, soul and mind than I've had in my 37 years.
He and I have discussed, this year, that other people celebrate different religious holidays.
But, I was waiting to see what he'd see at school with all of his buddies that are of different religions to expound on it.
Si and I do not go to church.  He knows about prayer.  We do pray together;  not often ... but, we do.
He knows that I believe in a God.
But, I don't force the "sinnner/you must go to church to be a believer/all people that DO go to church are good" shit.  It's nonsense.
I saw enough of that hypocrisy in my own church, whilst growing up.  Amazingly enough, it was the adults that stirred the pot.  Funny ... the adults, probably, never knew that the kids talked about that.
I knew that he'd have questions and I was prepared to answer these.  However, I HAD NO IDEA that he would come home and tell me that he and all of his pals had been so very comfortable talking about the various holiday traditions.  Could care less what other people do on a Saturday/Sunday sabbath.  They all seemed so interested in each others' artwork.
It was amazing to hear this, as I am much more quick to judge than this sweet soul.
They were all so, so accepting and interested in the learning aspect of it ... as opposed to the judging.
We've come a long way as humans.
Though we still have a LONG way to go, I am amazed that my son is more educated than I was at 20 years old.
He is and will be my greatest teacher ... for the rest of my life.  I choose to learn from him.
Thank you, thank you Sir Silas.  You are an amazing gentleman.
xoxo
Mama

No comments: