Wednesday, November 19, 2008

33 days and counting ...

That's right, dear readers. In 33 days, I will be, pretty much, a normal-breasted lady. I'll will get these damned expanders OUT and will have soft and squishy silicone implants placed. I'm am thrilled. These expanders feel like I have Tupperware bowls placed in my chest. They ARE that hard. They are like rocks. When I hug people, they take a step back. We bounce things off my chest right now. They have "ports" that are accessed with a magnet. If friends have really strong magnets on their refrigerator I put them on my boobs and they stick. Travis, at work, says that I'm a great "post-it." Man I've got great peeps.
In any event, On December 22nd I'll have my exchange surgery. I'm going to get the expanders out and the implants put in. I'm so excited to have them out. My back is killing me. My front is killing me. It's not that bad, as I've become really use to it. But, it'll be quite nice to be able to lay on my stomach and not feel like I'm on a hill. My right side is atrophied due to radiation, so it's not as "full."
I've chosen to get my port removed at the same time. My port was placed after my first mastectomy and prior to chemo. They put the port in your chest, as it saves the veins in your arms and allows easier access for blood draws and such. It is directly connected to your jugular. So, you can feel the wires winding up your chest, over/under your clavicle, and so forth. It'll be weird NOT to have it. It's been my constant companion since all this started. I plan on saving it and making it a Christmas tree ornament. It belongs in our "once a year keepsakes" AND ONLY THERE. Don't want to see another port in my long, long life.
So, we're hunkering down for the holidays. I plan on working extra hours throughout. We're excited to being heading back to South Carolina on New Years Eve. It's gonna be a fantastic trip. The family is gearing up. Silas is too!
xoxo
Anna

No comments: