Saturday, July 24, 2010

Silas is a WIDE receiver...


The Gamecocks logo is, of course, a selfish plug. However ...
Silas, "Chico", and I were in the back yard on Thursday and were playing football. I play football with Silas quite a bit. But, I'm not a MAN who has actually played the sport regularly. Though "Chico" is now in a wheelchair, before his car accident, he was being scouted by many colleges. He was a super-star sports hero in his high school. I hate that he never got the chance to experience what "might have been." However, he has taken what "might have been" and has turned it into something SO amazing. He's, truly, a dear soul and someone that advocates for EVERYONE with disabilities. One of ten national directors for training and technical assistance for the ADA ... this guy is amazing. He is an advocate for so many people ... including myself.
Though I was able to teach Silas how to throw a good spiral (my dad was also a football hero in high school, so it's ingrained in me), I don't remember a damned bit about plays or line-ups ... or anything technical in regards to strategy . I use to in high school. But, it's been lost in the mix of years. All I can do is throw a good ball.
Cue "Chico". We're out in the back yard after dinner. Silas pulls his football out ... and I just sat and watched.
It was adorable to see Chico telling Silas to run toward "that" pine cone and then "break right" and run to your Mama.
Silas, after a couple of turns, got it. He was on FIRE. Those boys were having a ball.
Chico is a man who has known me since I was in diapers. He is such a saviour to my son and myself. He showed up ... out of the blue ... when I was getting married here in Seattle. We danced together at my wedding ... in his chair. He has been with myself and most of my family members during times of crises. I can assure you that there have been many.
My Dad and I, actually, had a conversation a few weeks ago about this lovely man.
My father said to me, "If I called 'Chico' and said I need you to be at 'X-Place' tomorrow at Noon, he would be there ... and he would ask not one question." My Dad's right.
I'm so, so happy that Silas has a gentleman to show him the plays.
On my part, I can only show my son how to throw a mean spiral. Not saying I don't "get" the game but, sometimes, it takes a "true" man to show a young man the logistics of the game. And, I cannot think of anyone better for that task.
My son and I are so blessed to have that fabulous influence in our world.
Game ON!
xoxo
Anna

No comments: