Friday, May 6, 2011

Ahhh ... Track and Field day ...


... Of days gone by....
You remember those days, right? Those spring days that we were so excited about because we weren't holed up in that damned classroom. We would have DONE ANYTHING to get our asses out of those desks in elementary school. Track and Field Day was that perfect excuse. I say this, as my Mama just sent me an e-mail that they are having theirs at the glorious Jefferson Elementary in York, SC today. Bless those teachers' hearts. Those kids are gonna be so jacked up on adrenaline and such that they are going to want to retire.
I can remember track and field day as being a double-edged sword, of sorts. I'm not a gal that has EVER liked anything whose intended purpose is to raise my cardiovascular levels too terribly much. Not one bit.
Now, I was a gymnast and figure skater. These, however, I consider artistic. I was telling a story as I was moving. I wasn't just jumping and flipping around a track for 5-15 minutes. I guess the "art" was more of a diversion for me.
In any case, that damned track and field day was great, as we got to hang out with all of our pals ... sit in the back seats of the bus, as that's where the "cool" kids sat ... and, NOT be inside our school. Unfortunately for me, combining my hatred of forced-cardio and my less than miniscule stature, I was not the track and field super star. The only time that I did "okay" was when I was on a relay team and my poor friends were good enough to make up for my lack of speed. Bless their hearts.
I'll tell you one relay that I rocked: HULA HOOPING!!!! Not sure that that counts ... OR is something at which pre-pubescent girls should excel (for obvious reasons) ... but, hey, we all have our niches.
xoxo
Anna

No comments: