Sunday, February 22, 2009

A great night for a great cause...

I had the honor of attending the Myths and Legends Ball thrown by Les Faeries Vertes last night. They were honoring "The Breast Cancer Sisterhood" by throwing this amazing gala. They charged $65.00 per person and there was probably between 150 and 200 people there ... I think. So, it's great to know that all that money will be going to an organization that supports young survivors and their families in their time of need. I was asked to make a speech on behalf of us young survivors ... what we go through and how our experience is so unique and hard. It was a good opportunity to explain to a captive audience the tremendous difference between being a young breast cancer patient versus a post-menopausal woman. The audience seemed to REALLY get it. They seemed to be taking in all the points I was trying to make. So, hopefully, they took away from the speech how very different we little ladies have it. Hope I shed some light on the enigma that is the young survivor.
We're relaxing today. Not doing a DAMNED thing. I figure, we'll watch the Oscars. I've, sort of, had a beef with it since the year that Cate Blanchet lost to Gwyneth Paltrow for best actress. It was an absolute atrocity that Kate's roll in Elizabeth was overshadowed by the mind candy that was Paltrow's roll in Shakespeare in Love. I boycotted the Oscars for years after that. Damned nepotism!
I'm rooting for Kate Winslet tonight. My OTHER favorite Kate. I swear to the Lord above that if Angelina Jolie wins the damned Oscar for being her crazy self, I'm gonna boycott the show AGAIN! She grates on my most raw nerve. And no, it's not that I'm on "Team Aniston" ... I, certainly, am not. I just think that Angelina Jolie isn't the person that everyone thinks she is. I think she's obsessive and attention hungry. I, simply, think that people believe her to truly be this most altruistic woman. I think THAT has been her best role ever.
xoxo
Anna

No comments: