Wednesday, March 31, 2010

In Trutina...


Was going through some music tonight ... as I'm up. Damn those afternoon naps with the boys. Don't nap often. But, when I do, I can write of going to bed by 10, 11, or 12am.
So, as I was listening to some of my favorite songs on youtube, one popped up: In Trutina.
When I was planning my wedding, my girlfriend Bhama helped me with the music. She was already on board to sing during the wedding and she'd lined up a pal to play the accordion. For some reason, as she was rifling through music, she happened upon "In Trutina" from the opera Carmina Burana. Not a song that is normally accompanied by an accordion. But she sang it to me and I was overcome. It's one of the most beautiful and sweet songs I've ever heard. I, simply, knew it was perfect. So, this became the song to which I would walk down the isle. Cue wedding: My sister bawled the entire way down the isle, as did everyone around us, just like I had done when I first heard this beautiful song.
Funny thing: I never knew the meaning of the lyrics until today.
Here's the link to a beautiful rendition (I chose Barbara Striesand's version) and following the link is the translation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3GTVpwlFWs&feature=related

In Trutina
(In Balance)

In my wavering balance
Desire fluctuates with modesty
But I choose what I see
I bow my neck to the yolk
For the burden is sweeter
after all
And so I take it upon me


xoxo
Anna

No comments: