Friday, March 12, 2010

Still settling in...


Dear Lord, where to begin?
Silas and I flew out of Seattle on a 1:00am flight bound for Charlotte on the 25th (I think). We got in and couldn't even BEGIN to get the rental car, as there where about 40 people sitting in the waiting area looking like they were about to bum rush the asshole (and they were) employees at Hertz at the Charlotte airport. So, Silas, Allison, and I decided we'd make a go for the car in the following morning and proceeded to head home. Ahhhhhh ... home. To smell the pines and the pastures. To see all my family and all their smiles, taste their kisses ... in a completely NON-incestuous manner ... and to be able to catch up was fabulous. Only thing, I had been coming down with a cold for a few days. By mid-day Thursday, I wasn't sounding so good. By the evening, I ended up with a refund on my rental car, as they STILL weren't able to pull their heads outta their asses.
I called my girls in Atlanta and told them that I wasn't too certain that I'd be able to make the conference, between the car and my cold. At that point, I could barely speak.
Well, they were having none of it. About an hour later, I got a call from the gang basically saying "Get your ass to Budget at 10:00am tomorrow. You have a car reserved. We expect to see you here tomorrow." Well, what is a girl to do when her dearest pals hand her her own ass? Well, she goes back to the airport the following morning and throws her credit card at the Budget folk and says, "I believe you've been expecting me."
No. Seriously, they were so nice and had my car ready for me within about 20 minutes. The rates were very comparable to those of Hertz. And, off I went. Left Charlotte, stopped by a Cracker Barrel for lunch, and then into Atlanta. What a sight it was to see all my ladies back home ... in the South. We had the most amazing time. Well, what I remember of it.
On Sunday, I got up early, kissed my sleeping beauties and headed to Charleston. The drive takes about 5 and a half hours. A LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG five and a half hours. But, I was "lucky" enough to find two bare-able CDs at a truck stop: Eddie Money and Cheap Trick. That was the sound track for my trip ... and now for my nephew in Charleston who has become an Eddie Money fan, much to his parent's chagrin. To be driving those same highways again is so surreal. The same roads that rode upon as a little girl and upward. The pastures, the pines, the wooden crosses, the drivers that don't have their heads in their asses ... then, the smell of the marshes of Charleston. I so miss the smell of the pluff mud.
Charleston was amazing. I had the most fabulous time with Angi, Matthew, and the kids. We (the 3 adults) got tattoos of one of our favorite memories from our childhood together: "Sliding Rock." I stole half of Angi's closet, some cd's, and a picture off of their wall. I really needed it for my new place. So...........
Back in York, I met back up with my little man. Silas had been having a ball. He was excited to see me, but quickly ran off to continue playing with Uncle Shane's Wii. Again, we're Southern ... but not THAT Southern.
Mama is healing very well and she was "treated" to a surprise girls' night on the Friday before we left. I'll not share what that party entailed. Let's just say that it starts with a "P" and rhymes with bromance.
Silas and I had the most amazing trip. We miss everyone already and are already planning our next visit.
To spend such a fabulous few weeks with so many amazing friends and family is just what the Dr. ordered.
I couldn't be more blessed.
xoxo
Anna

No comments: