Sunday, March 28, 2010

night of lovely music...


I've been hacking away at my computer tonight, looking up old music from shows that I've done. I happen to have been associated with some young directors in college that had a brilliant knowledge of music and most of those soundtracks have become soundtracks to my life. One of my favorites is by Dead Can Dance. Lisa Gerrard is their front-woman. It sounds a bit cooky, but she oftentimes makes up lyrics on the spot. Or, just writes the music and the lyrics end up being a made-up language of her own. I believe the idea is that the lyrics don't necessarily make the song ... it's how the music inspires you ... her voice DEFINITELY will.
One of my favorite is "Sanvean." It supposedly means "I am your shadow". She, again, supposedly wrote it when she was away from her family (in Australia) and missed them terribly. You won't be able to find lyrics to it. There are none ... no translation, that I can find. It's her own made-up language. But, its been covered by some of the most amazing singers out there.
I charge you to sit ... when all is quiet ... in your favorite place ... close your eyes ... and crank up the volume while listening to this beautifully haunting song.
I remember doing the same when I was a junior in college. Over and over. Simply gorgeous, haunting, but inspirational.
xoxo
Anna
edit to add the best video of Lisa Gerrard's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xpkRj99FH0

No comments: