Wednesday, September 7, 2011

... Childhood for my son ...

Mr. Silas met his kindergarten teacher today.  I have to say I was a nervous wreck to think about him going to school and the lot.
It was a big BBQ for the school.  Kids running around.  Parents chit chatting about which teachers were "the best" and who won the "teacher lottery" as I saw it.
As I'm not in the know at Briarcrest, I was just so thrilled to get him in the school.  So, when Kevin and I went to check out the kindergarten lists, we saw "Silas Schumacher" on Mrs. Killin's class list.  First off, we both laughed our asses off that his teacher is named Mrs. Killin.  I had a feeling, immediately, that I love her, considering that my first name is Dorcas.
We walked into the room (the biggest room in the school, I think) and there stands an adorable gal in her 20's ... parents and kids surrounding her.  At first, I thought she must be a teacher's assistant, as she looked so young.  Once I found out it was Mrs. Killin, I was ecstatic!   Young and thriving = passionate.
Kevin and I introduced ourselves and then Silas introduced himself and handed her a bouquet of flowers from our wild flower garden.  She said, "Well, he sure does know how to start out off on the right foot!"
I'm just so thrilled that instead of him pulling away ... as he has said he would do ... that he met her and hugged her neck so hard that I had to almost pull him off of her.
I found out from another mother ... that I had met weeks ago ... that not only are our kids in the same class, but that Mrs. Killin has had much experience and training with children with Aspergers and Autism.  Now, Silas is in no way affected by these spectrum diseases.  However, it DOES tell me that she has experience that trains her to be VERY intuitive, kind, and regimented with children.  Boys need that.  Kindergarteners needs that.  Silas is a grand boy.  But, boys will be boys ....
I'm just so, so thankful that he's with someone that has so, so much experience and (clearly) compassion for children.  I have a feeling that that will rub off on him this year.  A good lesson for him.
Plus, she's a cutie-pie, hottie-blondie that Silas will not counter ... as she's a babe!
Bless your heart Silas, she's gonna have you in the palm of her hand.
I couldn't be more happy.
Breath in, breath out.
Have a feeling Pappy was whispering to God on this one...
xoxo
Anna

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Yes, sweet girl, I think you are spot on about Pappy AND about Mrs. Killin having Silas in the palm of her hand! My prediction is that he will be #1 in his class!!! XOXO