Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I'm an Amazon ...

  As most of you know, the Amazon women were warriors that cut off their right (typically) breasts in order to make shooting a bow and arrow more easy and precise.   They were a hard core group of chicks.  I've always been extremely intrigued by them.  They were warriors:  strong, independent, fearless.  I, actually, thought of them when I was told that I would have to have a mastectomy.  Honestly, I wasn't EVER freaked out about losing my boob.  The cancer scared me.  The boob being cut off, NEVER.  I figured, if it saves my life, GET IT GONE!  Take 'em both.  Take my legs.  Take my arms.  I just want to be around to see my son grow up.   Never cried over losing my boobs.  They end up looking like "wind-socks" after you nurse a child anyway.  So, they're gone ... one by necessity, the other by choice.
  My girlfriend Sandi is an amazing artist.  She has decided that she wants to do some work based on the Amazon women.  She has chosen me as her model.  I guess it is fitting, as I physically resemble them ... amputated, stretched, scarred.   I've posed for her many times before.  But, this time, it's different.  I think that I'll have more of an emotional tie to the subject matter.  I hope that my mind continues to be so closely tied to these women.    I hope, as an actress AND a breast cancer patient, that I can reflect upon my experience in a way that helps her to capture the emotion.   
  Sandi is living in Japan right now.  She'll be moving back to Seattle in August, thank God!  We've missed her and her family so much.
  In any case, I will be posing for her (via photos e-mailed to her) during the entire process of my breast reconstruction ... until she makes it back to us.  Once she's back, we'll be able to do this whole deal in person.  I'll post photos of the paintings, if she allows.  I know she will.
  I'll also let all of you know when she begins selling the paintings.  You better snatch them up.   Her work and my "Franken-titties" are a hot commodity.   
xoxo
Anna
p.s. I just looked out of my window.  I saw my "Jesus" candle burning inside Karen's van/home.  I'm so glad she's using it.

No comments: