Saturday, December 13, 2008

Great night...







It's snowing in Seattle. I love it! It's gorgeous. It's quiet. It's white.
We spent the evening in Georgetown at an art-walk, of sorts. It's an amazing building where artists (painters, sculptors, metal workers, etc.) rent studios and do their deal. Several of our pals have studios there. So, we often go to support. Tonight was special, as I had posed for Sandi some months ago. She is a dear friend of mine from years ago. Met her through Kevin, and she and I have become tight. I've ended up being her model for many of her pieces over the years. Some time after my diagnoses, she wanted to begin a new work: an Amazon warrior. I was sending her pics of myself throughout my whole reconstructive process, as she was living in Japan for the past 2 years. We finished up the pics/sittings several months ago. What you see here is the final piece. It's amazing. One man that walked into her studio tonight said, "That is distressing." He was referring to my face. That seemed to be the general response. I asked him "why?" He said, "she looks terrifying. She's ANGRY!" I said, "Well, she's pointing the arrow at breast cancer. Her face reflects her journey and her future. She's not gonna lose." He got it. The face is like a shield.
There were many other paintings there that folks were really interested in. One of which is included in the blog and one that I posed for years ago. The back to you, the mirror reflecting my face. It was a part of a series called the Seven Deadly Sins. That pic is "Vanity." I, actually, own "Lust." Kevin and I posed for it.
In any case, it was a great night of beautiful art ... and gorgeous snow.
xoxo
Anna

No comments: