Saturday, June 13, 2009

The waiting...

Well, I had a CT scan yesterday. My first scan in nearly a year and a half. I hate scans. Not the act of getting a scan ... I could care less about that. It's the waiting that's the killer.
So many things go through your mind in the days that follow a scan. What if it's back? What if I had NO idea that it is back and it's gotten bad? What if my insurance company decides to fight me getting this scan? What if that gum I accidentally swallowed during the scan shows up as a big tumor in my stomach?
The latter is true. Right as they started to scan me I said "Shit!" The tech asked what happened. I told him that I accidentally swallowed my gum without thinking about it and I'm sure the radiologist is gonna freak! He just laughed. So, I figure, it'll be noted. What an ass I am.
But, if you go all damned morning without food or drink, gum is a good way to help appease the hunger ... that is, until you swallow the gum.
The scans are being done, as I've been referred to a gastro-doc for issues I'm having with my stomach. The idea is that it is possibly an ulcer. So, the scans are just routine.
But, if you're a cancer survivor, NOTHING seems routine.
So, I wait.
xoxo
Anna

No comments: