Sunday, August 2, 2009

Blast from the past...

Studying acting afforded me so many opportunities. Namely, the exposure to great, great works of literature and theatre. Of course, one of my favorite playwrights is The Bard ... William Shakespeare. He will, forever, be one of the most brilliant writers on this planet. Simply amazing.
I was just flipping through a book of his plays and the page fell to The Tempest.
I had the honor, in college, to be a part of a beautiful production of The Tempest.
I, of course, was cross-cast (female playing a male role) ... as the comic relief. I played Stephano. At the time, it bothered me that I was always getting the roles that would make the house laugh, but never the role that would always make them cry.
I, now, appreciate it. I understand comedy and what it takes to make it work. It's an honor to be the person counted on for that "comic relief." Thanks Todd.
In any case, in doing The Tempest, I began to realize that The Bard had so much to say ... and in such a gorgeous manner. To be limited to prose when writing is quite limiting. However, I've never witnessed a moment in his writings that reflect that constraint. He continues, throughout time, to surprise and inspire artists so easily and flawlessly. It's amazing.
So, back to The Tempest. It's a great play. Chock full of adventure and laughter ... mystery and truth ... honor and love.
And the basic point ... once all is said and done ... is that everything that was written or seen will disappear as soon as it had begun.
And, one of my favorite quotes from Shakespeare appears in one of Prospero's monologues:

"Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air: And like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on; and our little life Is rounded with a sleep."

And I love that. I love the final quote: "We are such stuff as dreams are made on; and our little life is rounded with a sleep." I remember it being a motto of mine in college when I was feeling overwhelmed with studies and money and in thinking about my future. And, it still holds true. But, now it holds true in a different way.
I see the quote now and all I can feel is that I need to learn a lesson from the very same lesson posed to me when I was a senior in college. Enjoy it: life. It's not forever. It's not perfect. But, it's there ... for a moment. And that moment will end. So, make the most of that damned moment. I'm gonna milk that shit like a Jersey Cow.
xoxo
Anna

2 comments:

Annie Searle said...

My favorite play.

Dorcas Anna Warren said...

Didn't know that, honey. It's a gem. See you next week or the following.