Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Blessed Japan...

The past few days have haunted me ... and, I know they've haunted the rest of the world. The absolute terror that everyone in that beautiful country has experienced is unbelievable. The sight of mass destruction and the helpless looks on the victims' faces is heartbreaking. Seeing people, young and old, wandering down muddy and shattered streets is awe inspiring. And, not in a good way ...
Today, CNN and an "expert" from Columbia University shared the following information:

The number of nuclear workers who remained on site has been slashed from 800 to 50.
"Their situation is not great," said David Brenner, director of the Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University. "It's pretty clear that they will be getting very high doses of radiation. There's certainly the potential for lethal doses of radiation. They know it, and I think you have to call these people heroes."

Now, I've been exposed to more radiation than most individuals could experience in MANY lifetimes. Hell, I've set Geiger Counters off in the past.
But, NEVER EVER, did I choose to do it of my of volition. I was dealing with cancer. These 50 people have CHOSEN to stay. They've chosen to stay to help protect everyone in their country AND ON THIS PLANET who might be affected by this potential disaster.
And, as a consequence, they may pay with their lives. They are, obviously, aware of the repercussions. They have chosen to stay.
The word HERO doesn't even begin to sum these individuals up.
As much as I fear the outcome of their choice ... and, it sounds more probable than not ... I am in awe at being able to witness such an act of selflessness.
Should be a lesson to us all.
xoxo,
Anna

No comments: