Saturday, March 21, 2009

Saturday...

My Pop's in the hospital ... again. Pop was diagnosed with prostate cancer several years ago, as I've mentioned before. Apparently, he's got several blood clots in his leg. He's doing okay. They are treating the clots and have his pain - from them and his cancer - under control. So, I'm hoping he is able to make it back home in a few days. He HATES being away from home and ANYTHING that has to do with hospitals and such. He's such a great, great man. One of twelve children born to my great-grandmother (Grandmama Brandon). She was from the mountains of North Carolina. Hard, hard core lady. So, he grew up pretty tough. Mill village style ... as did my dad.
Pop, when I was a girl, scared me. Now that I'm a woman, he's one of the most dear people I've EVER known. He's become, in his older age, one of the most kind-hearted and prolific people I've ever known. He's not really spoken to a women as a true buddy until I became an adult. We've been pretty tight since I was in college. I see that as an honor. To sit there with him on the front porch while he whittles away at sticks, whilst we joke about our cancer treatments and the issues that they create is a bit surreal. We happen to be on the same drug: Lupron. I started it over a year before he did. So, I was able to warn him about the hot flashes and such. I tried to warn him about the atrophy that his vagina would experience, but he said he doesn't use his vagina anymore. THANKS BE TO JESUS AND BARRY MANILOW!
He's a love. He's my buddy. He is a man that will forever be a soul-mate of mine. So, please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate it.
xoxo
Anna

No comments: