Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Matisse ... my love ...





I was spending some time tonight going through some of my favorite paintings. They always lead me back to Henry Matisse. The man was brilliant. The only play that I've written that was published was named after him: Blind Sided by Matisse. It poked fun at the idea that many artists believe that they know exactly what a piece of art means and that any other interpretations are bogus. The point of the play was that the most important point of the piece is what the creator was going through at a certain point to drive them to create a work of art. The work will stand alone for eternity. But, what inspired it will as well. THAT is of the utmost importance.
Long story long ... his work has always inspired me. His use of color. His, obvious, adoration of women and the female form. I find him brilliant.
AND, a very interesting point: he was a lawyer years before he happened upon painting.
Glad he found his passion. And, I'm so thankful that he continued with it and left us with such brilliance.
xoxo
Anna

No comments: