Thursday, April 22, 2010

Zomet Friday, tomorrow...

Man ... it's upon me again. My Zometa and Lupron treatments. Tomorrow, Mr. Mosey and I will head up to Swedish and the "fun" begins. I'll get a blood draw that gets analyzed and sent to my oncologist (STAT) so that we may discuss my levels. He'll feel me up for any strange bumps or masses. Then, I move back down to the Infusion Center where all the cancer patients go to receive chemo, antibiotics, and any other treatment that involves being infused with a prescribed substance that is part of cancer treatment. Oh joy.
Honestly, Zometa has only treated me poorly on a very FEW number of occasions. Problem is, you never know when the next one will arise. It's, sort of, a craps shoot for me. Many of my girlfriends are in bed all weekend with the most awful flu-like symptoms one can imagine. So, I honestly feel lucky that I, generally, get off scott free.
The NCI defines Zometa as the following: A drug used to treat patients with hypercalcemia (high blood levels of calcium) caused by cancer. It is also used together with other drugs to treat multiple myeloma and to prevent bone fractures and reduce bone pain in people who have cancer that has spread to the bone. It is a type of bisphosphonate. Also called zoledronate and zoledronic acid.
Though I don't have an active cancer and I am currently sleeping with NED (no evidence of disease), recent studies have shown that the drug might just prevent recurrence to the bone in women with breast cancer. It's still a new treatment for women in my situation. But, considering that I'm menopausal and that osteoporosis is lurking, this drug does a bang-up job of keeping my bones strong.
So, off we'll go tomorrow. Thank God my son is such a fine young man when I have to take him with me for these long visits to Dr. Fer's. Plus, Dr. Fer is, admittedly, not a fan of children ... and he ADORES his little buddy (and "old soul") Silas.
It'll be good to check in with everyone ... everyone that spent such tireless hours saving my life. For that, I'll take Zometa X 1 million!
Happy weekend, all.
xoxo
Anna

No comments: