Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fun weekend ...

  NO pics today.  I forgot my camera last night when we headed over to my dear 2nd cousin's house.  Don moved down to Seattle from Alaska some time last year.  I grew up seeing him at family holidays in South Carolina.  He is a love.  Don was in a horrible car accident when he was 17.  He, since that time, has been in a wheelchair.  Don't let that whole wheelchair thing fool you.  There is a reason that people like him are named Don.  They are named that so it is easy to tack "Juan" onto the name.  The man is a lothario.  Ladies love that man.  Fortunately, he has a lovely lady named Joyce that caught his eye and has been a wonderful companion for many years.  We love her.
  In any case, we spent last night at Don and Joyce's place.  We typically go up to Mount Lake and have an amazing dinner and MANY drinks.  Last night was no different.  Last night, we watched the UFC championship.  I'm not really one that is into that crap.  Seeing any animal getting the shit kicked out of it bothers me.  However, these guys chose to do it.  They're making lots of money.  So, I watched.  I found myself getting into the fight.  Yikes.
  Don and I ended up later than everyone debating religion and such.  He's an minister that no longer practices "ministering."  He's very open minded.  I'm a girl that grew up in a really liberal Presbyterian church and have become MUCH more liberal.  I think ALL religions are basically worshipping the same entity.  We're just too stubborn to realize that.
  I found 6 4-leaf clovers in Don's back yard.  I also found a  5-leaf and 6-leaf clover.  Those of you that know me, know my stats.  How in the name of all that is holy can I do that EVERY DAY and I cannot, for the life of me, win the damned lottery!
  Silas hopped into one of Don's spare wheelchairs.  I prepared myself to peel him off the floor or wall.  I was banking on having to wheel him around.  NOT SO.  Silas got into a wheelchair for the first time in his 2 years and began rolling around.  He turned himself in circles.  He went down a long hallway and turned around and came back.  He backed out of corners.  How in the name of Sweet Axl Rose does a 2-year-old know how to operate a wheelchair?  We were all confounded.  In any case, he spent most of last night and this morning in the wheelchair:  inside and outside.  I'm beginning to believe in reincarnation ... more and more.  There is NO explanation for his proficiency in "wheel-chair driving."  NONE.  It was astounding.
   In closing, I want to share with you something that Don had wanted to share with me for some time.  It's from the Bible.  Though I'm more spiritual than "religious", I find many religious writings inspirational.  No matter what religion it is.  I guess that is actually my religion.  
  This is from The Song of Solomon.  One of my favorite books of the bible, as it's quite spicy and risque.  This passage was written for me.  
  Song of Solomon, Chapter 8, Verses 6-10:

   "Put me like a seal over your heart,
   Like a seal on your arm.
   For love is as strong as death,
   Jealousy is as severe as Sheol;
   Its flashes are flashes of fire,
   The VERY flame of the Lord.
   Many waters cannot quench love,
   Nor will rivers overflow it;
   If a man were to give all the riches of 
   his house for love,
   It would be utterly despised."
   We have a little sister
   AND SHE HAS NO BREASTS;
   What shall we do for our sister
   On the day that she is spoken for?
   "If she is a wall,
   We shall build on her a battlement of 
   silver;
   But if she is a door,
   We shall barricade her with planks 
   of cedar."
   I was a wall and my breasts were
   like towers;
   Then I became in his eyes as one who
   finds peace.

AMEN

No comments: