Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cancer-club evening...

Went to the Cancer Club support group tonight. These women never cease to amaze me. But, what amazes me more is the large amount of new members. I sit there with all my dear "old school" pals and then look around the room. I'm estimating that there are, at least, 8 new young women that have joined the group within the past 6 to 8 months. I'm probably wrong on the count. But, it just astounds me that THAT many young women are diagnosed regularly. They are all at different stages of the dance, but they are all doing just fine. Strong, strong girls.
I, as a young girl, NEVER had this in my world. We moved around, regularly, during my childhood and adolescence. Never did I come into contact with a young woman with breast cancer. My Mama didn't have ANY friends with the disease. Nor were we at all impacted by a friend of a friend dealing with it.
I just wonder why it's become so common now. Now, everyone I know has a family member or friend of the family that has dealt with The Harpy. There has to be a reason that there are so many women affected by the disease. And, I don't believe in the whole awareness bag: that, because of awareness, people get diagnosed.
Well, if they had "it" some years ago and weren't diagnosed, then they would go metastatic ... and without treatment, would die.
I never experienced that as a girl and teenager. Never did I witness random young women getting breat cancer and living with it OR dying from it.
There's something in that.
I don't believe that awareness is the key, at his point. That is not to say that awareness doesn't save lives. It has and it continues to do so.
But, it's become apparent to me that A CURE is what is needed. NOW. The rates of women diagnosed are growing. Why, why, why is what we all want to know. But, it doesn't seem to be followed by a resounding answer.
So ... we need to find the cure. Then, and only then, can we be comfortable in back pedaling and answering the question of "why, why, why?"
My friend Carrie has been asked to speak at a big cancer conference here in Seattle in August. Not only that, but her husband has been asked to speak as well. They are stellar folks and work so hard for the cause. The date alludes me tonight. But, it is in early August at Quest Field. Once I have all the info, I'll post it here. If you're in Seattle, I'll meet you there.
xoxo
Anna

1 comment:

Emily Ackerman said...

You know, my mom is a lactation consultant in Portland. I told her about how you got diagnosed, and she said, "oh yeah, that is really common now. It's amazing that she even went to the doctor. She's very lucky." That just means that women don't know about this! As a lactation consultant and a labor and delivery nurse, my mom has seen it all, and has been yelling about stuff like this for years, and yet, no one really knows. It is truly remarkable how many people haven't the slightest clue about what to even look for. I mean....