Monday, July 13, 2009

Back home...

We're back in Seattle and all's well.
Mama's surgery went very well. Her surgeon Dr. Scott is a frickin' rockstar. Young-ish woman ... much like my own. She's aggressive and positive and extremely knowledgeable. Unfortunatley, when we got Mama's path-report back, we found much more than expected. Not only did she have the DCIS, but she also had LCIS AND a 2.1cm tumor: Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Invasive Cancer. So, I'm so thrilled that we pushed to get the mastectomies and that Dr. Scott was so aggressive. How in the hell an MRI didn't show that invasive disease is beyond me. I wonder what that radiologist was thinkging?!
In any case, Mama is what is known as a "Triple Negative". Her cancer doesn't respond to systemic therapies like all the little goodies that I've been on for the past few years after treatment. So, chemo is probably the way the oncologist is gonna go, in my eyes. We'll see. But, all my "Triple-Neg" girlfriends agree that she's probably gonna have to do chemo. Mama is A-Okay with it. She wants to be agressive and I am so proud of her strength.
Silas had a ball at home. Spent so much time playing with All his Aunts/Uncles/Cousins/Grandparents.... it was wonderful.
My Pop wasn't doing so well when we made it home. I was able to help out with him while I was home. My Brother and Dad (and their awesome wives) have taken such good care of my grandparents while I've been way far away. Hate that I've not been there, but was able to spend some really good time with him and some private nights together ... chatting. He's hanging in there and is a brave man.
Please send love and prayers to my cousin Clyde and his family. Just got a call that he had a heart attack today. He and his family are loves and drove up to see my family when we flew into SC in January. Please hold them close to your hearts. Love you, Clyde. The world still needs to hear your silly and beautiful laugh, honey! You're a dear, dear person to me and I'm sending all my love to you and Cindy and the family right now.
xoxo,
Anna

No comments: