Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Another blast from the past ...

Ani DiFranco ... one of my favorites since the ol' college days ... her songs meant so much to me and my best girlfriends back in college. She's still one of the creators of our lives' soundtracks. My best girls from college and I have dealt with much, much, much. Life, death, birth, and rebirth...
Tonight, I wanna send my crazy girls some love. We're all, now, on the fifty-plus corners of the universe. In the past and present, we've lived on many coasts, boats, in African villages, in the farthest corners of Alaska, in NYC, in LA, in Seattle, in corn fields, on farms, high-rises, basements, houses, and dorms. But, we're still as thick as thieves. We may only talk or get together here and there. But, those little ladies are stuck to me like glue. Maybe cobwebs grow upon us when we get busy with life's whatnots. But, in a pinch, we'd find a way to rip those cob webs off and settle in and chat, giggle, hug, smooch, and blast music and dance on whatever beach is available.
I miss them, madly. I love them dearly. They are brilliant ladies. And, I am today and forever blessed to have them in my life. The following was one of our theme songs when we were seniors in college. On the verge of spreading our wings. Funny how it all comes full circle.

32 Flavors, By Ani DiFranco:

squint your eyes and look closer
I'm not between you and your ambition
I am a poster girl with no poster
I am thirty-two flavors and then some
and I'm beyond your peripheral vision
so you might want to turn your head
cause someday you're going to get hungry
and eat most of the words you just said

both my parents taught me about good will
and I have done well by their names
just the kindness I've lavished on strangers
is more than I can explain
still there's many who've turned out their porch lights
just so I would think they were not home
and hid in the dark of their windows
til I'd passed and left them alone

and god help you if you are an ugly girl
course too pretty is also your doom
cause everyone harbors a secret hatred
for the prettiest girl in the room
and god help you if you are a pheonix
and you dare to rise up from the ash
a thousand eyes will smolder with jealousy
while you are just flying back

I'm not trying to give my life meaning
by demeaning you
and I would like to state for the record
I did everything that I could do
I'm not saying that I'm a saint
I just don't want to live that way
no, I will never be a saint
but I will always say

squint your eyes and look closer
I'm not between you and your ambition
I am a poster girl with no poster
I am thirty-two flavors and then some
And I'm beyond your peripheral vision
So you might want to turn your head
Cause someday you might find you're starving
and eating all of the words you said.

Love you girls.
xoxo
Anna

2 comments:

Annie Searle said...

You're at least 32 flavors, girl. I enjoy coming to see you every three weeks more than I can say.

xoxo

Annie

Dorcas Anna Warren said...

You have no idea how much I love seeing your purty face early on Saturday mornings ... it always starts my day off to a wonderful start. xoxo