Wednesday, October 7, 2009

RIP sweet Pop ...


My heart is terribly heavy tonight. My "Pop" passed away this afternoon. He was surrounded by dear family and the spirits of his friends and family. His death is not a surprise. But, man what a blow. I, fortunately, had the chance to have a heart to heart with my buddy in June. When I flew home to help out with Mama, I spent quite a bit of time with Pop, as well. He wasn't doing well. At that point, I thought that he might pass while I was there. But, as he always has, he rallied.
I spoke with him this weekend. Thank God. He sounded VERY, very tired and listless.
For the past week, he has been saying that he is "crossing the bridge", out of the blue. He had also been speaking of his mother and his brother Toots ... who have both died. I find no irony in that. I KNOW that they were there ... with him ... comforting him ... welcoming him during this transition.
My Pop was an amazing man. He was stern, loving, not so stern, crass, an animal lover, an extremely hard worker, strong, not so crass, hysterically funny, simple, complex, an amazing friend, an amazing grandfather, AN AMAZING FRIEND to his grandchildren and son, a brilliant craftsman, an eater of squirrel (don't ask), a savior to wounded animals, grew the most beautiful gardens I've ever seen, a straight shooter ~ with game and with words, a great snuggler.
Last time that we made it home, Silas and I spent the night in Pop's bed with him. I laid there with my son and my grandfather ... all night. Silas was sandwiched between the two of us and our arms were around one another. All night long. That was one of the best night's sleep I've had in years.
I miss you already, Pop. And, as I said in our "heart to heart", I will be talking to you ... probably too much. But, you told me that you would be fine with it.
So, if you're out at the local pub or riding a motorcycle right now (do angels do that?), I hope I don't interrupt your much deserved moment.
God's speed, my dear friend.
My heart's broken.
xoxo
Anna

1 comment:

Beth said...

Oh Anna, I'm so sorry for your loss. :(