Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Charming day ...

  Man, oh man.  What a fun day.  Silas and I began the day with bananas and Cheerios ... and 9:15 I sat down ... just kidding.  But it was a great day.
  I have two beautiful survivor girlfriends that are dealing with some real crap right now.  "E" is dealing with a new chemo regime, as she had a recurrence recently.  The chemo is strong.  I know it's going to kick her into remission.  But, in the process, she's taking a beating:  vomiting incessantly, in pain, exhausted.  By the way, she's raising two children.  "K" also had a recurrence. They discovered this last summer.  Since that time, she's been through the ringer:  chemo, new chemo, another new chemo, heart and kidney failure issues, pneumonia (2 times), hand foot syndrome.  By the way, she, too, is raising two children.
  Silas and I decided that our two pals could use some sunshine on this rainy day.  I spoke to my girlfriend Nicole who heads up Northwest Young Survivors.  I told her I was going to get some amazing bouquets of flowers on behalf of our support group.  Silas and I got hysterically funny cards and went down to Pike's Place Market and found 2 perfect bouquets.
  We hopped back in the car and delivered the flowers "ding dong ditch" style.  It was so funny.  I nearly fell down E's front steps trying to run to my car.  Hiding in it, I saw her father-in-law come out and not even notice the gigantic  heap of flowers at his feet.  I thought that I was going to have to yell from the car, "LOOK BEHIND YOU!"  But, he finally saw them.   I ran up to K's door, dropped of the flowers, knocked on the door, and AGAIN almost fell running down the front steps.  Watching and hiding in the car.  No one came to the door.  What?  The lights were on.  So, I called her.  She answered, "Hey Coochie, what's up?"  Sweet Coochie is my nickname in the group.  We all have them.   I said, "whatever you do, DO NOT GO LOOK ON YOUR FRONT PORCH!"  She, of course, did and was so happy to get her pretty flowers.
   It was fun to be able to brighten their days.
   Tonight, we had the honor of having dinner at University Place.  It's a, sort-of, retirement home.  However, it's the most stunning one I've ever seen.  We went there, as we were the guests of Dr. William Robertson.  Kevin works with him at Washington Poison Center.  If you've not heard of him, you certainly have heard of his brilliant work.  Dr. R was one of the pioneering doctors that created "poison centers."  HE INVENTED "MR. YUCK", the green sticker you put on toxic household items.   He's genius.  I cannot tell you how hysterical this man is.  While eating in the dining room - and being waited on hand and foot by servers - Silas, of course, began yelling loudly that he was Superman.  I said, "Silas, shooosh, please be quiet!"  Dr. R, between bites of smothered beef and mushrooms simply said, "It's okay ... we're the only ones here who aren't deaf!"   He is so funny.  He showed us his apartment.  It's a nice one-bedroom setup that is covered in stacks of books (neatly stacked), millions of pens, and millions of paper clips.  He collects pens and paper clips.  He tidied his pens and paper clips up for us before we came.  We talked about the ratio of men to women at his home:  80% women.  I told him that was great for him.  I said he must be beating them off with sticks.  He replied, "As long as I'm a person that's ALIVE and breathing, they'd find me attractive."  Touche.  I then began to talk to him about the virtues of having a pulse.  It's pretty attractive if you think about it.
  So, that was our charming day.  I was charmed by the smiles that I could imagine on my two dear friends' faces.  I was charmed that Silas and I had a wonderful "date" at Azteca ... and he was such a good boy.  Our server said that he's like a little man - my oncologist says that all the time.  I was charmed that I got to spend time with Dr. R.  He's such an amazing man and wonderful host.  The world is such a better place having a man like him (at 83) still looking out for all of us.
  I'm charmed that I have pulse!  Or, as my girlfriend Cho-Fro says (another nickname of ours), "I'm just glad I'm on this side of the dirt!"

No comments: