Monday, May 19, 2008

Forgot to tell you this...

Seattle had a beautiful weekend.  Silas, Kevin, and I went out to "Golden Gardens", a gorgeous beach on Puget Sound.  While we were walking down the beach together, I noticed a woman approaching.  I noticed her hat.  I noticed her SUPER short hair, barely peeping out from beneath said hat.
I told Kevin, "I think that a woman is a cancer patient."
As we walked towards one another, I noticed the tell-tale sign:  a port-a -cath sticking out of her chest.
As we neared one another, I sang, "MY PORT'S BIGGER THAN YOUR PORT!"
She looked at me, shocked.  Then, she smiled, as I pulled down the front of my sun-dress to expose the same exact tell-tale port.  We, instantly, were on a different plane than everyone else on that beach.
We walked towards one another ... smiling like newlyweds.  We put our arms out and embraced.  It seemed like hours.  It was so strong.  It was beautiful.   When we finally pulled ourselves away from one another, we chatted.  She had cancer of the uterus.  She was diagnosed at stage 4.  However, she now has no evidence of disease.   I LOVE IT!
We talked and talked about her situation:  no insurance at diagnosis, moved back to Kentucky to be near family for treatment, couch surfing while trying to figure this all out.
What do you say to someone you know has dealt with cancer?  What do you say when you want to give them your knowing heart for a brief moment?
I don't know why I sang like a 3rd grader, "My port's bigger than yourrrr port!"
But, it just felt right.
Plus, I tend to use humor to face all of this.  Hopefully, I don't offend anyone in the process.  But, up this point, it's never failed me.

No comments: