Thursday, May 8, 2008

Day as a proud Mama...

  Well, we all knew it would come down to this.  I'm bragging about my son.  If you're reading this, you've chosen to be here.  So, you knew, at some point, I'd be a doting Mama.
   Went to get Silas' hair cut at my salon on Tuesday.  It's my day off.   So, Heather, my co-worker and mother to Silas' best buddy Marco, cut his hair.
   Silas loves going to the salon.  My co-workers are some of the best folks on this planet.  I consider some of them family.  Most salons can't profess to have that dynamic.  Lots of drama in salons.  As an actor, I use to find the drama in salons funny.  Now, I find it absolutely ridiculous.  We're not saving lives.  We're not curing horrible diseases.  We're doing your f-ing hair.  However, we DO make people feel amazing.  We DO let people vent AND get pretty.  So, it's like going to the psychiatrist and going to the "beautician" for half the price.   I've called it "Hairapy" for years ... then, that damned commercial came out ... the one for the grocery store product.  I should have trademarked that.
   In any case, we got Silas' hair cut.  I've been the only person to cut it thus far.  But, I just wanted a break and to sit and watch Heather work her magic.  She did such a wonderful job.  She treats Silas like he's her own son, so he just sat there sucking on a lollypop while she cut his hair.  He listened to me when I told him to sit still or keep his head straight.  He listened to Heather and me when we told him to sit still and look in the mirror.  He waved at clients as they came in.  He said "please" and "thank you" to everyone, when appropriate.  He was such a good guy.  
   Today, my coworker Ann said, "Silas was so cute, getting his hair cut.  You're an amazing Mama.  You just go with the flow.  You're so mellow and not thrown by anything."  I've NEVER in my life gotten a better compliment.  I've never been so happy and proud.  I've been blessed with this boy.  MY son tells me "Mama, I wanna go night, night."  My son eats all of the best foods in the world:  fruits, veggies, whole grains ... blah, blah, blah!  He eats more than Kevin and I do.  He's like a frickin' goat.    And, he's still a tiny thing.  I guess that's the reward when you've had a child that had colic for the first 3 months of his life.  I'm not kidding.  I could NOT leave my house for 3 months without preparing to explain why my child was screaming for NO reason.
  I've been through some silly stuff.  I've faced some shitty circumstances.  I'm proud that I've made it through all that stuff and laughed the whole time.  I've been told how strong I am for having cancer and being so strong and keeping my sense of humor.    Well, I figure, if you have a sense of humor, it's all about breeding and how you were raised.  Don't compliment me.  Compliment my family and friends that have helped make the person that I am today.  But, the most wonderful compliment that I've EVER gotten is "you're an amazing Mama."   I find it hard to imagine that I could EVER hear something more beautiful.   
    By the way, the first time my father, "Pappy", met Silas, he said "you're a wonderful Mama."  I cried like a damned baby hearing that, as no one had ever told me that.   I guess I had never felt so proud THAT day too.

No comments: