Friday, May 16, 2008

Huh?

  Went, tonight, to a club in Pioneer Square to start planning a benefit for our Komen 3-Day Walk team.  We're doing a big show with great bands at "The Heavens" ... previously The Catwalk.  We're the Lickity Splits.  We're pretty surly.   We're the young survivors.  We're mamas, we're single, young professionals, networking, still dating, still growing up, etc.   We tend to be the "forgotten ones."  This disease, for the most part, strikes women of post-menopausal age.  In my opinion, we're the warriors.  We're the ones that are aching to still find our place in the in this world.  We're the ones that that want to see our children grow to graduate from high school.  We're the ones that want to see the world ourselves!  We're the ones that will throw a huge party at an amazing club and invite the world ... as long as they want to donate to the cause.  If you care to donate, go the 3-day page and look up our team.  Our team is so amazing this year.   We're, mostly, young survivors.  The rest of the team is made up of our close support network:  a bunch of crazy cancer girls, 1 Seattle gal, and 4 women that are our close friends/family that are flying in for the walk.  
   My beautiful (figuratively and physically) sister-cousin ANGI is flying up to do the walk with me.  She's been with me from birth.  This woman is my soul mate.  She is the person that was my hero from the day that I knew how to adore a hero.  She's been my best friend since I knew how to say those words.  We shower together, to this day.   She was there with me during college.  She flew up after I had my baby just to be with us in a small hotel room for 3 days.  She flew up to be with me during my mastectomy and help me once I was home.  She flew up while I was getting radiation.   She WANTED to come up during this recent reconstructive surgery, but I said NO ... she has a 3 children.   Enough is enough ...  I didn't want her to leave her family again.  She's an amazing Mama and wife.  Plus, she's a tramp.  
  Like how I threw that in? 
  But, she and her husband are coming up for the 3-Day walk in September.  Angi will walk.  Matthew will hang with Kevin and party way too much.   I'm gonna have to pay neighbors to make sure that the boys take care of my son, while my soul mate and I walk 60 miles to cure breast cancer.  
   Great!   We lose toenails, and all the guys lose is some excess water in their systems from drinking too much.  
  Assholes!   
  In any event, it's late.  I've been working for the cause and have had a few beers.  I'm going to bed now.  I don't remember where my husband parked the car ... 
  I'll tell you about getting caught up in a that karaoke bar later.  

1 comment:

Seetha Bhagvat said...

Hey Anna, This is Seetha. I am walking again this year. I was wondering if I could join your team, like last year. You girls are all very good friends and I feel like an outsider, but I did have a lot of fun walking with y'all. What do you think? Ciao!